The 26th match of the Qatar 2022 World Cup that we get to enjoy sees Belgium take on Morocco at the Al Thumama Stadium with a kick-off time of 13:00 GMT. Both of these nations will be hoping to have three points apiece having already played their first match of the tournament, knowing that one more win should be enough to book themselves a spot in the Round of 16. Belgium will obviously be the favourites to win this game, but there are bound to be a number of shocks. So, who will win this important match? Well, there are plenty of World Cup 2022 predictions out there, but this is our Belgium vs Morocco prediction and thus, what we think will transpire.
Our Belgium vs Morocco prediction: Belgium to win.
Belgium is currently ranked by FIFA as the second best team on the planet, with only Brazil ahead of them, making them officially the highest ranked team in Europe. This is not really much of a surprise when you consider the quality that they have in their ranks such as Eden Hazard, Romelu Lukaku, and Kevin De Bruyne. People have been going on about a Belgian Golden Generation for a while now, and the time is quickly running out for them to pick up some silverware.
Belgium was placed in a UEFA Nations League group alongside Netherlands, Poland, and Wales and they finished second with only three wins from their six matches, include a 4-1 defeat at the hands of the Dutch. There would have been plenty of football betting fans that would have been confident about them topping the group and making it to the finals, but it was not to be. They will now be looking to put that disappointing defeat behind them and showcase their skills in Qatar.
Belgium World Cup History
This will be the 14th time that the Red Devils have participated at a World Cup, which means that they have played at all but seven FIFA World Cup tournaments. However, despite having entered plenty of FIFA World Cups with a lot of talent in their squad, Belgium have never lifted the Jules Rimet Trophy. They have not even made it to the final in their history, with their best finish being the third place that they claimed in 2018 in Russia. There are probably a number of football predictions out there that have Belgium to win the competition, and we can see why some would think that.
Overall, Belgium have played in 48 matches at the World Cup, and they have 20 wins, 9 draws, and 19 defeats to their name. However, something that we feel is worth pointing out to you is the fact that they have a negative goal difference in this competition – it is -4, having scored 68 while conceding 72.
Qualification and Road to the World Cup 2022
Despite their recent drop in form, Belgium qualified for this competition with relative comfort. From the eight matches that they needed to play in Group E, they won 6 and drew 2, beating some strong teams likes Wales and the Czech Republic. They finished five points above the Welsh in second, and they scored a total of 25 goals while conceding only 6.
Below you can see the matches that Belgium had to play in order to book themselves a spot at the 2022 Qatar World Cup:
|24th March 2021||Belgium vs Wales||3-1||Belgium|
|27th March 2021||Czech Republic vs Belgium||1-1||Draw|
|30th March 2021||Belgium vs Belarus||8-0||Belgium|
|2nd September 2021||Estonia vs Belgium||2-5||Belgium|
|5th September 2021||Belgium vs Czech Republic||3-0||Belgium|
|8th September 2021||Belarus vs Belgium||0-1||Belgium|
|13th November 2021||Belgium vs Estonia||3-1||Belgium|
|16th November 2021||Wales vs Belgium||1-1||Draw|
Belgium Players to Watch
We are pretty certain that you will recognise the majority of players in the Belgium squad because most of them play in the top European leagues. Below are three players from Belgium that we suggest you keep an eye on when they are playing in Qatar.
- Kevin de Bruyne: During his time in England’s Premier League, De Bruyne has turned himself into one of the world’s best midfielders. To date, he has made 224 appearance and has scored 60 goals and given 95 assists, and he is now considered to be one of Manchester City’s most important players. When it comes to his stats for his country, he has 25 goals in 93 matches, which is equally as impressive. If you want to bet on the top assist maker, then De Bruyne is certainly a good choice
- Charles De Ketelaere: If Belgium are to have another Golden Generation, then De Ketelaere will certainly be part of it. In fact, he might be the perfect replacement for De Bruyne when he eventually decides that enough is enough. At only 21 years old, De Ketelaere has already been capped eight times by Belgium, with his debut coming in November of 2020 against Switzerland. He currently plays for reigning Serie A champions AC Milan, and playing with and against the best is only going to make him better
- Leandro Trossard: While he cannot be considered a youngster since he is now 27, the wide attacker, who plays for Brighton and Hove Albion, has been playing really well for his country and club. He has the ability to play as wing-back or a left-sided attacker, and his versatility is what Roberto Martinez likes most about him. At the time of writing this prediction, he has been capped 21 times by his country and has 5 goals, while he has played 114 times for Brighton and has 25 goals
There are 21 places between Morocco and Belgium in the FIFA World Rankings, with the team from North Africa being ranked as the world’s 23rd best team. However, despite this gap, they are still pretty talented and are ranked as Africa’s second best team, with only Senegal being ahead of them. This means that they are ranked as being better than the likes of Ghana, Cameroon, Egypt, and Tunisia.
Morocco has been in decent form ahead of the 2022 Qatar World Cup and have turned themselves into a team that is hard to beat. So, if any of their opponents decide to take them lightly, then they could easily end up with some egg on their face.
Morocco World Cup History
If Morocco get out of their group in Qatar, then it will be the first time that they achieved such a feat since the World Cup in Mexico in 1986. In their World Cup history, they have never ventured into the last eight, and this will be the sixth time that they have played at the WC finals.
Since their best ever showing in Mexico, they have only qualified for the World Cup on four occasions, with just the one appearance in the last twenty years. So, despite the fact that their squad has a lot of talent, they will have to overcome history in order to land their best ever finish at a World Cup.
Qualification and Road to the World Cup 2022
As we said earlier, this is a Morocco team that is full of talent, and this was the reason why they managed to easily qualify for the Qatar World Cup. Due to their high ranking, they received a bye into the Second Round of the CAF Qualifiers, and they won all their games in their group, scoring 20 goals and only conceding once. They had to play the DR Congo in the Third Round, and they won 5-2 on aggregate to book themselves a Qatar spot.
In the following table, you can see the results that helped to take Morocco to the Qatar 2022 World Cup:
|2nd September 2021||Morocco vs Sudan||2-0||Morocco|
|6th October 2021||Morocco vs Guinea-Bissau||5-0||Morocco|
|9th October 2021||Guinea-Bissau vs Morocco||0-3||Morocco|
|12th October 2021||Guinea vs Morocco||1-4||Morocco|
|12th November 2021||Sudan vs Morocco||0-3||Morocco|
|16th November 2021||Morocco vs Guinea||3-0||Morocco|
|25th March 2021||DR Congo vs Morocco||1-1||Draw|
|29th March 2021||Morocco vs DR Congo||4-1||Morocco|
Morocco Players to Watch
While the casual football fan might not have heard of many players in the Morocco squad, there are some quality players that ply their trade in top European leagues, and below are three in particular that you should pay close attention to when Morocco are playing:
- Achraf Hakimi: He is certainly one of the best players for Morocco, with the extremely talented right-wing back being a star for both his country and PSG. Despite often playing in a more defensive role, he has a pretty good scoring record – in 46 PSG matches, he has scored 7 times, while he has scored 8 goals for his country from 53 appearances. At the age of 24, he has already played for some of the biggest clubs in the world such as Inter Milan, Dortmund, and Real Madrid
- Youssef En-Nesyri: The forward who plays his club football for Sevilla is their biggest goal threat with 14 goals from 48 matches. He has also had a really successful time in Europe, playing for clubs such as Malaga and Leganes before signing for Sevilla in 2019 for a fee of €20 million. His best season to date was the 2020/21 season where he notched 24 goals in the 52 games that he played
- Ilias Chair: If you have been following the England Championship lately then there is a good chance that you have heard of him as he has been playing really well for Queens Park Rangers. He has 10 caps to his name, which makes him a bit of a novice, but he has the energy and creative vision that could make him a big hit in Qatar. So far this season he has notched six goals and provided a handful of assists in 16 matches in the Championship
Belgium vs Morocco Betting Odds
At Betiton, we provide our customers with a range of top WC 2022 betting odds for a variety of quality football betting markets. Below you can see the odds that we have on offer or for two World Cup bets that are very popular among football bettors – Match Winner and Over/Under 2.5 goals.
|Belgium to Win||Morocco to Win||Draw|
Over/Under 2.5 Goals
|Over 2.5 Goals||Under 2.5 Goals|
Who Will Win? Belgium vs Morocco Prediction
As can be seen from the World Cup betting odds that we provided you with above, we have Belgium as the clear favourites to go on and win this game. While we think Morocco will give a good account of themselves, we feel that because of the attacking talent that Belgium has at their disposal that our Belgium vs Morocco prediction can only go one way.
Our Belgium vs Morocco Betting Tips
If you are going to be placing some World Cup predictions on this game, then you would do well to take some World Cup tips into mind. We think it is wise to look at the over 2.5 goals market since the attacking talent on display for both teams should conjure up at least three goals. If you like to take somewhat of a risk when you are doing a spot of online sports betting, then you should think about putting money on Tielemans to get booked because he does like to put a tackle in.